To design and create a sustainable, ethically aware and socially responsible product with a lower environmental impact that embodies and communicates sustainable and ethical practices. The presentation of your product must actively encourage and promote the benefits of ethical and environmental awareness, through its use of sustainable raw material with a lower environmental impact, manufacturing and production techniques. Special consideration should be taken with any fabrics and materials used.
Throughout the entire project you must clearly demonstrate how the product is lowering it’s environmental impact, and/or be beneficial to the environment, culture or community from which the materials are sourced. A clear understanding of ethical practices must be prominent throughout the development, production and presentation of the product. Environmental impact along the entire supply chain and subsequent solutions to these issues must be addressed by the production of a product/products that embody sustainability and ethical practices.
WINNING STUDENT £2,000
Design and create a sustainable, ethically aware and socially responsible product with a lower environmental impact that embodies and communicates sustainable and ethical practices.
The Dame Vivienne Westwood Sustainable and Ethical Award sponsored by Levis, is judged in two parts.
- Thursday 17th May, 18:00 - Deadline for submission, lecturers are to nominate 2 final year students
- All nominated graduates will have to submit a supporting statement for a pre-event shortlisting process by industry experts.
- The supporting statement should explain the nominated graduate’s entry from concept to realisation including images and demonstrating that it meets all criteria as detailed above.
- The supporting statement should be no more than 10MB in size and no longer than 10 pages.
- Industry experts will shortlist 10 - 12 candidates
- Thursday 24th May - The names of the shortlisted students will be announced on the GFW website
- Shortlisted graduates MUST bring their FULL entry to Graduate Fashion Week for the Final judging
- SUN - TUE (date TBC) , 10:30 - 13:00 and 14:00 - 16:00 - Judging will take place on the nominated graduate’s university/college stand
- The judges for your award will make themselves known and this will be your opportunity to talk through your idea and possibly answer questions from the judges.
- All nominated students MUST stay on their stand for the entire day to ensure that they are available to meet the judges if requested.
- 5 students will be shortlisted and announced on the GFW website on the evening of the judging
- Wednesday 6th June, at the Best of GFW Show, 15:00 - 5 shortlisted students will be invited and expected to attend when the winner will be announced
- In addition to the cash prize, the winner will receive a ticket to the Graduate Fashion Week Gala Awards Show at 19:30 on Wednesday 6th June